Sunday, October 30, 2011

halloween cookies - jack-o-lantern pumpkin spice cookies


I was recently invited to participate in McCormick's Halloween baking blogger contest through KitchenPlay, and since I love baking how could I resist?  For my inspiration, I chose the pumpkin cookies from Peabody of Culinary Concoctions, except that I modified a few things:

  • I substituted the cookie mix for homemade sugar cookie dough
  • Instead of using a container of vanilla frosting, I made royal icing to decorate it with.
  • Instead of adding the pumpkin pie spice to the cookie dough, I added it to the icing.


I also added a jack-o-lantern face, similar to the ones on my Halloween Cupcakes from last year.



After adding a few jack-o-lantern faces, I decided to make cookie replicas of the jack-o-lanterns that we carved with the kids this week!


From left to right - daddy's scary jack-o-lantern, mommy's hello kitty jack-o-lantern, Melodie's classic jack-o-lantern (with a little help from mommy), and Matthew's funny jack-o-lantern (drawn all by himself!)


Hope you have a Happy Halloween!


*** Update:
You can now find my recipe for Hello Kitty Pumpkin Spice Cookies in my new book, "The Hello Kitty Baking Book"! Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Those are terrific! I LOVE that you made the cookies the same as the jack-o-lanterns you carved! Nicely done...and buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! And I bet they taste great too. I love the Hello Kitty jack-o-lantern - too cute! I hope you'll consider submitting this to my Halloween blog hop :-D http://www.katherinemartinelli.com/blog/2011/friday-shout-out-and-blog-hop-halloween/

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE COOKIES LOOK SOOO YUMMY AND CUTE! ^^
    Would love to make them for myself!
    Probably tasty because they sure do look good! :P

    http://chonkosfoodandstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing - both the cookies and the pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great looking pumpkins!!! :D

    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute cookies! I love the hello kitty one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed by your perfect and flawless sugar cookies with icing... very cute!

    ReplyDelete